Monday, July 25, 2011

This Sunday we went up to Santa Barbara and looked at the SB Unitarian Church as a venue. It was probably a little small for our needs, but it was really beautiful. The whole building is sort of a Spanish mission-style building. I'm uncomfortable getting married in any church, even an awesome one like the UU church, but we could have the ceremony in the courtyard outside, where there's a nice fountain and lots of green grass. If we don't book the parish hall, I think we'd save some money, too (that's the 'chapel' where they have lots of ceremonies and weekly services, and is this big dark long room that has a very Catholic church feel to it and kind of creeps me out--fine if that's your thing, but my spirituality eschews indoor worship and clergy standing up dictating God's opinion to people, so I'd feel completely dishonest being married in a place that made me so uncomfortable).

I didn't exactly fall in love with it immediately in a "OMG THIS IS IT!!!!!" kind of way, but as we walked through the grounds I started scheming and imagining and the place really grew on me. I could imagine decor, and in my head I started arranging furniture, and I started getting really excited, so when we left and Nate said he thought the place was too small for our estimated headcount, I got really bummed.

I think part of the reason venue shopping is stressing me out so much is because I think it's one of the aspects of planning that's the most critical and has the possibility of being the most restrictive. It's hard to avoid the big wedding-in-a-box places around here, and I have a really hard time visualizing decorations and colors and whatnot without a space to work in--that's just not how my brain works. I feel like we're sort of stuck until we have a venue, then a lot of my questions will be answered for me and I can start the more fun parts of planning because I have some of the bigger nitty-gritty stuff cleared away.

Nate keeps telling me that it's too early to stress myself out, but I have a tendency to leave things for the last minute, and that's the last thing I want to do with the wedding. I don't want the whole process to be a nightmare, but I'm worried that if I don't stress out now, it's just not going to get done. :( I know to a certain extent perspective is a choice--I could choose to be stressed out about something or I could choose to go with the flow, but I can't seem to let go and let wedding stuff just happen, or even to approach the planning I am doing with enthusiasm and a joyful heart. Maybe it's too personal, maybe I've heard too many horror stories, maybe I feel like if I want shit to be important and meaningful I have to break my back to get it. I'm not sure what the source of my perspective is right now, but I'm not thrilled with it.

2 comments:

  1. Working hard and getting as many things out of the way early as possible is Highly Recommended.

    Try to come to terms with the idea that every little detail is not going to be absolute perfection, though, and embrace the idea that some of the imperfections will be the stuff you joyfully laugh about for many years to come.

    If your wedding day is anything like mine you won't remember 96% of it, anyway. Most of the detail is for your guests and the pictures or videos, not for the two people at center stage.

    On the big day your mind will initially be occupied with the dozen little things and one big thing that inevitably goes horribly askew at the last minute, and then with the terrifying awesomeness of looking your partner in the eyes and Holy-Shit-Hot-Damn MARRYING them. Everything else will be an irrelevant blur.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, dude. :)

    I was mentioning this to a coworker (my "work spouse"), and I was like "Dude, this is just the same as autocrating an event, I have no idea why it's so stressful!" and he was like "Well... it's your wedding. It's kind of a big fucking deal."

    And I think that pretty much sums it up. :D

    ReplyDelete