Monday, May 16, 2011

Clothes make the man

So every time I ask Nate what he wants to wear for the wedding, he says "Top hat and tails."

Now, it's an accomplishment in and of itself for Nate to have an opinion about what he's wearing--his default setting is "shirtless with flannel jammie pants." His outlook on life is pretty casual in general, so I was surprised to hear that he had an opinion at all about what he would be wearing... but I wasn't really surprised to hear he wanted to wear something fancy-pants.

Nate likes to dress up, likes to look nice (good little Leo!), and generally completely subverts the stereotypes about how men never ever give a shit about what they're wearing and have to be shoehorned into their formalwear by the long-suffering women who deign to put up with them. That's one of the ways we completely upset the gender stereotype--he loves to dress up and I always feel awkward or uncomfortable. So when he says he wants to wear black tie formalwear, I get a ball of nausea and ice in my stomach--that's so not me.

But, you know, it's not my wedding, dammit, it's our wedding, so if he wants to dress up all fancy, we'll make it work. There had to be a way to coordinate my laid-back hippie beach wedding dress idea with Nate's penguin cosplay. Right?

So I got to thinking. And it occurred to me that associating a top hat and tails with black tie attire is a very modern convention--it's about as formal as men's formalwear gets. But roll the clock back a couple of hundred years, and tailcoats and hats on dudes were worn in much more casual situations. What if Nate rocked a tailcoat with a sort of archival, costumey quality?

Enter the Edwardian tailcoat.

If we designed something for Nate that was kind of evocative of Colin Firth's costumes in the A&E (six hour marathon) Pride and Prejudice, only hopefully without the terrifyingly crotching high-waisted pants, and made it in a color, rather than just black, that might work. I wouldn't want to do a perfectly period design, but I'd want to distance it somehow from modern tailcoats. I'm hoping to do something tea-length and not-too-fancy myself (with a dash of color or two), so I think we might have found a workable compromise.

No comments:

Post a Comment